If you've never used a Foothill Transit bus before, these handy tips and how-to tutorials will get you started.
Welcome! Here are a few tips to get you going good places with us.
- Not sure which bus you’ll need? Our Trip Planner can help you out. With the Google Trip Planner, you don’t need to know the specific address of your start or end points. You will need addresses, landmarks (for example: El Monte Station), or cross streets (for example: Sunset/Amar) to properly use the Metro Trip Planner, but it includes small, local transit agencies that aren’t included in the Google Trip Planner.
- All schedule times are estimated times of arrival. Schedules may vary due to traffic patterns, weather, closures, etc. Please arrive at the bus stop at least 10 minutes early. Any major disruption to service will be listed on our Rider Alert page.
- For real-time arrival information, use NEXTRIP. Just enter your line, direction, and stop, and we’ll tell you the predicted times of the next three buses! This service is also available by text message and at 1-800-RIDE-INFO.
- Foothill Transit runs weekday and weekend service. We also run limited holiday service on the following holidays: Presidents’ Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day. Our Transit Stores will have varying hours for each holiday, dictated by location and customer traffic. Please sign up for E-Notices to receive our detailed holiday information via email or text.
Boarding the Bus
- When at the bus stop, wait for the bus on the sidewalk – NEVER stand in the street.
- Have your TAP card or cash ready before you board the bus. Note: Please have the exact cash fare. Our operators and fare boxes do not give change. Also, our fare boxes do not accept pennies. How much will you need to pay? Read all about it on our fare page.
- Stand and signal the bus you want to board as it approaches your bus stop.
- To protect your safety and prevent slips, trips, and falls, any food or drink brought onto the bus must be in covered containers with spill-proof lids. Beverage containers with any liquid must have screw-on lids. Filled beverage containers without a sealed and secure lid are not allowed on board the bus. (Examples of prohibited containers include disposable coffee cups and drinks from fast food restaurants.)
- Fold strollers and carts before entering the bus and store them next to you, out of the aisle. Folding bikes should be collapsed before boarding and need to be securely held in your lap.
- Flammable-fueled vehicles and hoverboards are not allowed on the bus or in the bike racks.
- Full-sized, non-folding bicycles are to be stowed in the bicycle rack at the front of the bus. They can’t be secured inside the bus, so they are not allowed on board. Never used a bicycle rack? This how-to video will show you how easy it is!
- When boarding the electric buses on Line 291 at the Pomona Transit Center, please be aware that the buses will briefly stop before moving forward into their charging stations. Please wait until the bus has come to a full stop before stowing your bike on the bicycle rack or boarding the bus.
- Only service animals, accompanied by their trainer or designated person with disabilities, are allowed on board.
- Move towards the back of the bus after paying your fare to allow the people behind you to board.
- Stow extra items under your seat, in front of you, or on the overhead rack when available.
- Take a seat if available, or hold on to a pole or strap.
Taking public transportation means staying safe, being respectful and sharing space. It is important to treat your fellow riders, bus operators and Foothill Transit property with courtesy and respect.
- Priority seating at the front of the bus is reserved for seniors and people with disabilities. If requested, please give this seat to the elderly or disabled.
- Eating, drinking, littering, smoking or use of simulated smoking devices is not allowed while on the bus.
- Avoid excessive noisemaking, as it’s distracting to the bus operator and your fellow riders. Use headphones when listening to music, and please wait to make a phone call until you’ve exited the bus.
- Rowdy, disruptive, threatening or unlawful behavior will not be tolerated.
- Foothill Transit reserves the right to expel and/or exclude customers from service for unsafe or abusive behavior.
- Please note that plain-clothed law enforcement or security officers may be on board. Security cameras may be in operation. Foothill Transit does not tolerate threatening or intimidating behavior against other customers or bus operators; we will contact law enforcement for assistance if this behavior is displayed. If you see anything suspicious, report it to your bus operator immediately.
Leaving the Bus
- Wait until the bus comes to a complete stop before getting up to exit the bus, look around you to make sure you have all your belongings, watch your step and use handrails when exiting, and please use the rear door to exit.
Thank you for riding with us! We’re glad to have you on board. Keep in touch with us through the blog on our website and on all major social media platforms. You can also ask questions or make comments at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 1-800-RIDE-INFO (743-3463).